5 Simple Steps to help you stay calm
Like all public spaces where viral illnesses can spread, Coast Candle Co. is no different and we would like to reassure you that we are taking appropriate steps to minimise the risk to anyone that comes into the shop, including regular anti-bacterial cleaning of door handles, high touch surfaces and payment systems, in addition to our daily cleaning activities. We also recommend you use contactless payment as your method of payment where possible.
In addition to government guidelines, we also believe it’s important to look after your well-being as we learn to deal with this new pandemic. It’s an unsettling time for many and we have 5 tips to help you look after your mind and body as a whole.
- Try to avoid speculation and always look up reputable sources. There is a huge amount of information out there, not all of it is accurate. It’s easy to feel anxious and stressed when facing the unknown. You don’t need to read or watch every news item, but it is important to remain informed. Find a balance.
- Although we are advised to be socially distanced, now, more than ever, is the time when we need to stay in touch with each other. Call, facetime, social media, email; these are all ways we can stay in contact without a physical presence or posing a risk to others. Many people will get through this outbreak relatively unscathed, but please consider others, particularly those who are more vulnerable. Check in on the elderly, sometimes all they need is to hear a friendly voice.
- If you must self-isolate, this can also seem like a daunting prospect. You will find yourself in an abnormal situation, even although you didn’t choose to be. Take advantage of this time to prioritise your self-care and to be kind to yourself. Read more, try new recipes, exercise, find new relaxation techniques, try something creative and make a plan/promise to take better care of your general wellbeing. Take the holistic approach to life.
- Try to get as much sunlight and fresh air as you can. Open windows to let the air in, open curtains/blinds to let the sunshine through, create a green space and bring the outdoors in, with flowers and plants. If you can create your space near a window overlooking a view of trees and/or the sky, do it. Listen to the sounds of nature (there are many apps that play natural sounds).
- Be present, remember that this is temporary, and we will come through it. Above all, be kind to everyone and don’t judge, we’re all in the same boat.
REMINDER: Practical steps to minimise the risk of coronavirus (as per Government and NHS Guidelines);
- Regular, thorough handwashing and practice good hygiene.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Cough into a tissue or your sleeve.
- If you think you have symptoms, stay at home. Don’t go to your local GP, pharmacy or hospital, call them first or call NHS 111 for further advice. Stay informed and don’t panic.
If you are in the position of having to self-isolate, why not refer to point 3 (above) and treat yourself to a Coast Spa Candle, to aid relaxation and reduce stress levels. We have 3 aromatherapy candles to choose from, all of which have added therapeutic benefits:
Drift Away Lemongrass, Grapefruit & Patchouli
Floating Free Bergamot, Geranium & Ylang Ylang
Sea Dream Lavender, Rosewood & Patchouli
We make these candles using natural waxes and pure, high quality essential oils. Essential oils are extracted from plants and unique aromatic compounds give each essential oil it’s characteristic essence.
All essential oils are highly volatile and evaporate on exposure to air, giving off a beautiful aroma and allowing us to absorb their essence. Many oils are known to have a medicinal effect in the air itself, as they are powerful antiseptics that can kill airborne bacteria. Heating the oils speeds up their evaporation rate and when it comes to aromatherapy candles, researchers believe that the oils react with ions in the wick and with oxygen to take on anti-bacterial properties.
Oils that are known to have bactericidal or antiseptic properties include rosewood, bergamot, lemongrass, grapefruit, geranium and patchouli (we use all these oils).
Ylang Ylang is great for feeling calm and relaxed, as is lavender which is a great ‘all-round’ oil, especially for aiding stress levels.
It’s at times like these that we ask you to continue to support your local, independent businesses; use your local butcher, baker and candlestick maker (and all other small businesses) as we work through this time of uncertainty.
With Mother’s Day coming up and the current situation, we would like to offer a free local delivery service for the next week, for those within a 10-mile radius of Nairn. You can order online, email us or you can call on 07701 332927.
** Please note ** In general, all the essential oils listed above are safe to use for household purposes. However, we must advise of the following: please use caution when using aromatherapy candles around pets and children. Some essential oils may cause an allergic reaction. In the event of contact with eyes, rinse with water for several minutes. In case of contact with the skin, wash your hands with warm soapy water. Do not take internally. If you are pregnant or nursing a baby, or have any other underlying conditions that can be affected by essential oils, please seek the advice of a health care professional before using any essential oil products.